As the new year approaches, people of all ages are taking this time to evaluate the past year and prepare for the year ahead. One of the smartest things you can do to plan for the upcoming year is to consider how you plan on addressing your aging. No matter how far off it seems, it never hurts to know how you want to age and take the steps to ensure that you can age how and where you want. Here are our ideas for aging in place resolutions so that you can take on 2015 and the rest of your years to come.
1. Get moving. You dont have to train for a marathon, but moving for at least 20 minutes three to five times a week will benefit your health. Try low impact exercises such as walking, cycling, or swimming; light weight training will also strengthen your muscles and bones. Finally, work on your balance with activities such as yoga or tai chi. Make sure to consult your doctor before starting any new exercise programs.
2. Examine your home from top to bottom in terms of accessibility. If you ever have an accident or surgery that will require you to be in a wheelchair, would you be able to get around your home independently? Even if your home is all one level, it might not be very accessible. For example, your doorways may not be wide enough to fit a wheelchair, or your light switches may not be easy to reach from a seated position. View our guide to a wheelchair accessible home for an idea of what modifications you may need to prepare for.
3. Prep for your next annual checkup. You probably dont think of a doctors appointment as something you need to prepare for, but it can be helpful to spend even just 15 minutes before an annual check-up thinking about what you want to ask your doctor. Possible questions to ask could be about nutrition for healthy aging, side effects of any medication, or whether youre genetically at risk for any diseases.
4. Create a budget for aging at home. How much will it take for you to age comfortably in your home? How much will you need to save until then? What can you realistically afford, and where you can save extra money or make sacrifices now to ensure that you can age comfortably in the future? Creating a budget can be incredibly boring or even intimidating, but doing so now will save you an incredible amount of time and money in the future.
5. Begin browsing and comparing different aging in place products. Even if you dont need to buy a bathtub lift or a stair lift right now, you might in the future- and already having an idea of the best price and product around will be a huge relief to you. Home Access Products has very low prices and is happy to help answer all of your questions about aging in place. Call us today for more information about aging in place.
The beginning of a new year is an exciting time, and you have the opportunity to start fresh and change your life for the better by making smart aging in place resolutions!